- 1 spray(s) cooking spray
- 2 medium uncooked onion(s), roughly chopped
- 1 medium green pepper(s), cored and roughly chopped
- 1/2 pound(s) uncooked sweet potato(es), peeled and chopped into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 medium uncooked carrot(s), peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 medium clove(s) garlic clove(s), minced
- 2 Tbsp ginger root, fresh, minced
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 4 cup(s) fat free vegetable broth, reduced-sodium
- 6 Tbsp reduced sodium peanut butter, natural, creamy-variety
- 8 cup(s) fresh spinach, leaves, stemmed, packed, chopped
Coat a large saucepan with cooking spray and set over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper; cook, stirring often, until softened, about 3 minutes.
Stir in the sweet potato, carrots and garlic; cook for 1 minute, stirring often. Add the ginger, cloves, salt and cayenne; cook for 30 seconds.
Pour in the vegetable broth and bring to a simmer, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Stir in the peanut butter until smooth.
Cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer slowly, stirring once in a while, until the sweet potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes.
Add the spinach; cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Yields about 1 2/3 cups per serving.
- Keep the heat low as the soup simmers so the peanut butter doesn't break (that is, in culinary terms, "doesn't fall out of suspension" or separate).Like this recipe? Share it! (The icons at the top make it easy.)