Savory Sausage-Apple Crumbles
- Total Time
Instead of a pastry crust, try this easy, savory Parmesan oat crumble. It’s the perfect topping for a new take on potpie with chicken sausage, apples, vegetables and herbs in a light gravy.
cooking spray2 spray(s)
uncooked celery2 rib(s), medium, finely chopped
uncooked carrot(s)2 medium, chopped
uncooked onion(s)1 small, finely chopped
fresh apple(s)1 small, chopped
garlic herb seasoning1 tsp
table salt¾ tsp
dried thyme1 ½ tsp
cooked chicken sausage(s)6 oz, Italian-style, finely chopped
fat-free reduced sodium chicken broth⅔ cup(s)
cornstarch2 ½ Tbsp
quick cooking rolled oats1 cup(s)
shredded Parmigiano Reggiano cheese3 Tbsp
garlic herb seasoning½ tsp
unsalted butter2 Tbsp, softened
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Set six 6-oz ramekins on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Coat a nonstick skillet with cooking spray; set over medium-high heat.
- Add celery, carrots, onion and apple to heated skillet; stir in 1 tsp garlic seasoning, salt and thyme. Sauté, stirring occasionally, until onions are translucent and soft, 6-8 minutes; stir in sausage.
- In a small cup, stir together broth and cornstarch; stir into skillet. Allow to simmer, stirring occasionally, until reduced slightly and thickened, about 6-7 minutes; remove from heat.
- To make topping, in a medium bowl, combine oats, Parmesan, paprika and 1/2 tsp garlic seasoning; incorporate butter with your fingers.
- Spoon a heaping 1/2 cup sausage mixture into each ramekin; crumble 3 tablespoons topping over each. Bake until bubbling, 25 minutes.
- Serving size: 1 sausage crumble.