Roasted Beet and Wheat Berry Salad
- Total Time
Wheat berries are a fiber-rich grain with a chewy texture. They're delicious paired with beets (we used golden and red) and creamy goat cheese.
cooking spray3 spray(s)
uncooked beets2 pound(s), red and/or golden, scrubbed
kosher salt2 ½ tsp, divided
uncooked wheat berries1 cup(s)
unsweetened orange juice2 Tbsp
orange marmalade1 Tbsp
olive oil1 Tbsp, extra-virgin
apple cider vinegar1 Tbsp
uncooked scallion(s)½ cup(s), sliced (white and light green parts), or to taste
fresh parsley⅓ cup(s), flat-leaf, chopped, or to taste
semisoft goat cheese⅓ cup(s), crumbled
table salt¼ tsp, or to taste
black pepper¼ tsp, or to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a baking pan with cooking spray.
- Place beets on prepared baking pan; lightly coat with cooking spray. Sprinkle beets with 1/2 teaspoon salt and tightly cover with foil; roast until tender, about 1 hour. Remove from oven and allow beets to cool slightly; rub with paper towels to remove skin. Dice beets or cut into thick matchsticks; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, cover wheat berries with 2 inches of water; stir in 1 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until wheat berries are tender, about 50 minutes to 1 hour. Drain; set aside.
- While beets and wheat berries cook, in a small bowl, to make vinaigrette, combine orange juice, marmalade, oil, vinegar and remaining teaspoon salt.
- Spoon wheat berries into a serving bowl and gently toss with beets, vinaigrette, scallions and parsley; season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with goat cheese; serve. Yields about 3/4 cup per serving.