- 2 cup(s) uncooked rhubarb, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 cup(s) cherries, pitted, fresh or frozen, thawed (halved if large)
- 1/2 cup(s) preserves, cherry variety
- 10 Tbsp white all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 cup(s) uncooked rolled oats
- 1/3 cup(s) packed brown sugar, dark variety
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg, or less to taste
- 1/4 tsp table salt, or to taste
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, chilled
Preheat oven to 375ºF.
In a large bowl, combine rhubarb, cherries and preserves. When fruit is well coated, add 2 tablespoons flour; stir to combine. Spoon fruit into a 2-quart baking dish; set aside.
In another bowl, combine remaining 1/2 cup flour, oats, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Cut butter into small pieces and work it into flour mixture with a fork until it resembles coarse crumbs.
Spoon crumb topping over fruit and bake until fruit begins to bubble, about 25 to 30 minutes. Cool for 10 to 15 minutes. Yields about 3/4 cup per serving.
- Blackberries work just as well as cherries in this old-fashioned fruit treat.