Rhubarb Cherry Crumble
- 2 cup(s) uncooked rhubarb, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 cup(s) cherries, pitted, fresh or frozen, thawed (halved if large)
- 1/2 cup(s) preserves, cherry variety
- 10 Tbsp white all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 cup(s) uncooked rolled oats
- 1/3 cup(s) packed brown sugar, dark variety
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg, or less to taste
- 1/4 tsp table salt, or to taste
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, chilled
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- In a large bowl, combine rhubarb, cherries and preserves. When fruit is well coated, add 2 tablespoons flour; stir to combine. Spoon fruit into a 2-quart baking dish; set aside.
- In another bowl, combine remaining 1/2 cup flour, oats, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Cut butter into small pieces and work it into flour mixture with a fork until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Spoon crumb topping over fruit and bake until fruit begins to bubble, about 25 to 30 minutes. Cool for 10 to 15 minutes. Yields about 3/4 cup per serving.
Blackberries work just as well as cherries in this old-fashioned fruit treat.