Recipe Renovation: New England Clam Chowder
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 slice(s) uncooked turkey bacon, diced
- 1 small uncooked onion(s), finely diced
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup(s) fat free skim milk
- 3 1/2 cup(s) canned clam juice
- 2 medium uncooked potato(es), peeled and diced
- 10 1/2 oz canned clams, and juice
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 tsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/8 tsp table salt, or to taste
- 1/8 tsp black pepper, or to taste
- Heat oil in a nonstick pan over medium heat. Sauté bacon and onion until onion is very soft. Stir in flour and cook 1 minute. Very gradually whisk in milk and clam juice. Bring to a simmer, add potatoes. Cover and cook until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in clams, their juice, thyme and parsley. Bring to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper; serve. Yields about 1 1/2 cups per person.