A fabulous fall snack. You get a generous piece of cake, topped with a crunchy walnut and an underlying hint of caramel flavor.
- 1 spray(s) cooking spray, flour-variety recommended
- 1/2 cup(s) regular butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cup(s) packed light brown sugar
- 3 large egg(s), beaten
- 2 cup(s) canned pumpkin
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice, or more to taste
- 1 1/2 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup(s) uncooked quick oats
- 2 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 24 halves, cut into pieces walnut(s)
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat a 10- X 15-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
Using an electric mixer, in a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and pumpkin; beat well. Add salt, pumpkin pie spice, flour, oats and baking soda; mix thoroughly. Pour batter into prepared baking dish and place walnut halves on top so there will be 1 walnut in the center of each piece of cake. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean, about 40 to 45 minutes.
Cool in pan and cut into 24 pieces. Yields 1 piece per serving.
- Spice up the batter with a dash of cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, pepper, ginger or allspice.