- Total Time
Just the right balance of sweet, salty, spicy, and crunchy, this brittle is amazing. It would make a thoughtful holiday gift guaranteed to please anyone.
canola oil1 tsp, plus extra for oiling spatula
Bobs Red Mill Pumpkin Seeds, Natural Raw5 ⅓ tbsp, 1/3 cup
sesame seeds1 Tbsp, toasted
kosher salt¼ tsp
cayenne pepper⅛ tsp
maple syrup⅓ cup(s)
- 1 Line large cookie sheet with parchment paper and set on heatproof surface. Lightly coat a small metal spatula with canola oil.
- 2 Stir together pepitas, sesame seeds, salt, and cayenne in small bowl; set aside.
- 3 Brush bottom of small heavy-bottomed saucepan with 1 teaspoon oil. Add maple syrup and bring to simmer over medium heat. Cook, without stirring, but swirling the pan occasionally, until mixture turns dark amber and registers 285°F on candy thermometer.
- 4 Remove pan from heat and quickly stir in pepita mixture. Carefully pour mixture onto prepared cookie sheet and use oiled spatula to spread into about 7-inch circle. Let cool 5 minutes.
- 5 Using parchment, slide brittle onto cutting board and cut into 12 wedges. Let cool completely. Store at room temperature in airtight container with sheets of parchment between layers, up to 3 days.
- Serving size: (1 wedge)