- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 2 medium uncooked Spanish onion(s), diced
- 10 clove(s), medium garlic clove(s), coarsely chopped
- 1 medium uncooked leek(s), cleaned and thinly sliced
- 2 tsp kosher salt, divided
- 1 pound(s) uncooked Yukon gold potato(es), peeled and diced
- 6 cup(s) vegetable broth
- 3/4 pound(s) uncooked kale, Tuscan or curly, ribs removed, leaves chopped
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly cracked
- 1/4 tsp paprika, hot variety, or to taste
Heat oil in a large, wide saucepan over medium-low heat and add onions, garlic and leek; season with 1 teaspoon salt and sweat (cook over low heat, stirring frequently) until vegetables are cooked down and really soft with no color, up to 10 minutes.
Add potatoes, broth and remaining 1 tsp salt; simmer over low heat until potatoes are fully cooked, about 30 minutes.
Let potato-leek mixture cool to room temperature; puree directly in pot with an immersion blender until completely smooth (or puree in a food processor or blender, working in batches as needed, and then return puree to pot).
Bring soup to a simmer over medium heat; stir in kale. Season with salt and pepper; sprinkle with paprika.
Serving size: 1 c
- This recipe, originally by Amanda Freitag, has been adapted from The Chef Next Door for Weight Watchers Magazine. If you prefer a thinner soup, stir in some water or extra broth.