Pork chops with braised cabbage
1 medium, red variety, thinly sliced
1 tsp, (optional)
2 medium, Braeburn or Red Delicious variety
Uncooked red cabbage
1¼ pound(s), (about 1/2 cabbage), thinly sliced
Unsweetened apple juice
1½ fl oz, (3 tbsp)
⅔ Tbsp, or red vinegar, (2 tsp)
Uncooked lean boneless pork chop(s)
30 oz, center cut, 6 (5-ounce) chops, trimmed
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and caraway seeds and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, halve, core, and cut 1 apple into 1-inch chunks. Peel, halve, and core remaining apple and coarsely grate. Combine cabbage and both apples in 5- or 6-quart slow cooker.
- Stir onion mixture, cranberries, apple juice, vinegar, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper into cabbage mixture. Cover and cook until cabbage is tender, about 4 hours on Low, stirring after 2 hours of cooking time.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle pork with remaining 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add chops to skillet and cook, turning once, until instant-read thermometer inserted into side of chop registers 145°F, about 4 minutes per side. Serve with cabbage.
- Per serving: 1 pork chop and 1 cup cabbage