Peruvian potato cakes with poached eggs
Uncooked russet potato
1 pound(s), peeled and sliced
2 large clove(s), coarsely chopped
Shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
Frozen corn kernels
½ cup(s), thawed and patted dry
4 medium, thinly sliced
¼ cup(s), fresh, chopped + additional for sprinkling
Grated Parmesan cheese
Distilled white vinegar
Hot pepper sauce
1 tsp, or to taste
- Preheat oven to 250°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper; spray with nonstick spray.
- Put potatoes and garlic in medium saucepan and add enough cold water to cover by 1 inch; bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat and cook until potatoes are fork-tender, 10–12 minutes; drain. Transfer to large bowl. With potato masher, mash potatoes and garlic until smooth. Add mozzarella, corn, scallions, 1/4 cup of cilantro, the Parmesan, and salt, stirring until mixed well. Shape potato mixture into 8 (3/4-inch-thick) patties using about 1/3 cup potato mixture for each patty.
- Heat oil in large deep nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 4 patties and cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to prepared baking sheet and place in oven to keep warm. Repeat with remaining 4 patties. Wipe skillet clean.
- To poach eggs, half-fill clean skillet with water and bring to boil; add vinegar. Reduce heat to bare simmer Break 1 egg into cup. Holding cup close to water, slip egg into water. Repeat with remaining eggs. Cook until whites of eggs are firm and yolks are still soft, about 5 minutes. With slotted spoon, transfer one egg at a time to paper towel–lined plate to drain.
- To serve, place 2 potato patties on each of 4 plates; top with 1 egg and sprinkle with cilantro. Serve with hot sauce.
- Per serving: 2 potato patties and 1 egg