A fantastic mix of flavors. Enjoy as a side dish, tossed with pasta or as an omelet filling.
- 4 spray(s) cooking spray, divided
- 2 large uncooked onion(s), yellow, chopped
- 4 medium clove(s) garlic clove(s), minced
- 4 large fresh tomato(es), chopped
- 4 item(s), medium uncooked bell pepper(s), 2 green and 2 red, chopped*
- 2 large uncooked zucchini, chopped
- 2 medium eggplant(s), stemmed, chopped (no need to peel)
- 1/2 cup(s) basil, leaves, fresh, chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh oregano, leaves, packed
- 2 Tbsp fresh thyme, leaves
- 1 tsp table salt
- 1 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
Position rack in center of oven and preheat oven to 400°F.
Spray a large roasting pan with cooking spray. Add onions and garlic to pan; spray lightly with nonstick spray. Roast for 10 minutes, tossing twice.
Add tomatoes, bell peppers, zucchini, eggplant, basil, oregano, thyme, salt and pepper. Toss well. Bake, tossing occasionally, until vegetables are softened, tomatoes have broken down, and there’s some bubbling liquid in the pan, about 35 minutes. Cool for a few minutes before using or serving.
Serving size: 1 cup
- The key to the dish’s success starts before it hits the oven. It’s in your chopping technique. Cut the vegetables into fairly large chunks, about 1-inch pieces. Even the onion should not be diced. That way, the vegetables will soften without losing their shape in the oven’s heat.