Orange Chinese Chicken
- 2 tsp dark sesame oil
- 2 tsp orange zest, strips
- 1 pound(s) uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast(s), four 4-oz pieces
- 1/8 tsp table salt, or to taste
- 1/8 tsp black pepper, or to taste
- 15 oz canned mandarin oranges in light syrup
- 1/2 cup(s) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp orange zest, finely grated, or to taste
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add zest strips and cook, stirring, until fragrant and slightly cooked, about 1 to 2 minutes. Meanwhile, season both sides of chicken with salt and pepper. When zest is finished, increase heat to medium-high; add chicken to skillet and cook until golden, flipping once, about 2 minutes per side.
- Drain oranges and reserve 1/4 cup liquid. Add oranges with reserved liquid to skillet and simmer 2 minutes. Whisk together broth, soy sauce, finely grated zest and cornstarch in a small bowl; add mixture to pan and simmer until sauce thickens and chicken is cooked through, about 3 minutes more. Yields 1 piece of chicken and about 1/4 cup of sauce per serving.