- 3 spray(s) cooking spray
- 9 oz raw fresh turkey sausage, hot variety, casings removed
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 clove(s), large garlic clove(s), thinly sliced
- 1 pound(s) uncooked broccoli rabe, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 8 oz uncooked penne, rigate
- 3 1/2 cup(s) canned chicken broth
- 1/4 cup(s) grated Pecorino cheese, divided
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes, optional
Coat a large, deep nonstick skillet (12 in-diameter) or soup pot with cooking spray; set over medium heat. Add sausage; cook, breaking sausage apart with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Transfer sausage to a large bowl using a slotted spoon; set aside.
Heat oil in same skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add broccoli rabe and salt; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until just beginning to wilt, about 3 minutes. Remove broccoli rabe to bowl with sausage using a slotted spoon.
Add pasta and broth to skillet; bring to a boil over high heat. Cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, 8 minutes; stir in broccoli rabe and sausage. Cook, stirring, until broccoli rabe is tender, pasta is al dente and liquid has reduced to a saucy consistency, about 2 minutes. Remove pan from heat; stir in 2 Tbsp cheese and garnish with red pepper flakes (optional). Serve each portion sprinkled with 1/2 Tbsp cheese.
Serving size: 1 3/4 c