Nut Brownies with Caramel-Coconut Topping
- Total Time
These brownies are melt-in-your-mouth gems that hardly seem lower in fat and calories. We've shared our "renovation" secrets below.
unsweetened baking chocolate square(s)2 oz
all-purpose flour½ cup(s)
unsweetened cocoa powder1 Tbsp
baking powder½ tsp
table salt¼ tsp
reduced-calorie margarine⅓ cup(s)
unpacked light brown sugar½ cup(s), firmly packed
regular liquid egg substitute½ cup(s)
canned sweetened applesauce¼ cup(s)
chopped walnuts¼ cup(s)
fat-free caramel topping⅓ cup(s)
vanilla extract1 tsp
sweetened coconut flakes2 Tbsp
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly coat an 8-inch square cake pan with cooking spray.
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler or small saucepan set over a larger saucepan of simmering water. Set aside to cool for 5 minutes.
- Sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together margarine and both sugars until blended and smooth. Add egg substitute and applesauce and mix well. Gradually add melted chocolate and mix well. Beat in vanilla.
- Gradually add flour mixture and mix well. Fold in nuts.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 25 minutes. Remove pan from oven and drizzle caramel topping over top. Sprinkle with coconut.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean, about 10 more minutes. Cool in pan on a wire rack before cutting into 12 squares.