Nut brownies with caramel-coconut topping
Unsweetened baking chocolate square(s)
Unsweetened cocoa powder
Unpacked light brown sugar
½ cup(s), firmly packed
Regular liquid egg substitute
Canned sweetened applesauce
Fat-free caramel topping
Sweetened coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly coat an 8-inch square cake pan with cooking spray.
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler or small saucepan set over a larger saucepan of simmering water. Set aside to cool for 5 minutes.
- Sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together margarine and both sugars until blended and smooth. Add egg substitute and applesauce and mix well. Gradually add melted chocolate and mix well. Beat in vanilla.
- Gradually add flour mixture and mix well. Fold in nuts.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 25 minutes. Remove pan from oven and drizzle caramel topping over top. Sprinkle with coconut.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean, about 10 more minutes. Cool in pan on a wire rack before cutting into 12 squares.