Mozzarella, roasted pepper, and basil omelette
SmartPoints® value per serving
Omelettes are wonderfully versatile, and this vegetarian version works beautifully for breakfast, as a quick lunch, or as a light dinner. We’ve used a mix of eggs and egg whites with added milk to keep the texture light and fluffy. Pat the peppers dry so they don’t add moisture to the omelette. A nonstick skillet is key when preparing omelettes, since cooking the eggs and then sliding it onto your plate is so much simpler in this pan. Otherwise, you’ll need extra oil or butter to keep it from sticking. Also, you’ll want to cook the omelettes until they look slightly underdone and still appear wet. This is because they will finish cooking from residual heat once folded over.
Roasted red peppers (packed in water)
¼ cup(s), drained and thinly sliced
Shredded fat free mozzarella
2 oz, (1/3 cup)
1 Tbsp, thinly sliced
- Pat roasted pepper dry with paper towels. Beat eggs, egg whites, milk, salt, and black pepper in medium bowl until frothy.
- Heat oil in medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Pour in egg mixture. Cover and cook until almost set, about 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle mozzarella, roasted peppers, and basil evenly over half of omelette. With spatula, fold other half of omelet over filling and continue to cook until filling is heated through and eggs are set, about 1 minute longer.
- Sprinkle mozzarella, roasted pepper, and basil evenly over half of omelette. With heatproof rubber spatula, fold other half of omelette over filling and continue to cook until filling is heated through and eggs are set, about 1 minute longer.
- Cut omelette in half and slide each half onto plate.
- Serving size: 1/2 omelette