Mexican braised pork with pumpkin
Uncooked lean pork tenderloin
1½ pound(s), cut into 2-inch pieces
⅛ tsp, or to taste
⅛ tsp, or to taste
1 medium, white, sliced into 1/2-inch-thick slices
Canned chicken broth
Fresh orange juice
⅓ cup(s), freshly squeezed from 1 orange
⅛ oz, use 2 fresh sprigs
1¼ tsp, divided
Uncooked winter squash
3 pound(s), use a 3 lb pumpkin
Dried ancho pepper(s)
1 item(s), large, seeded, soaked in hot water until soft
Sun-dried hot chile pepper(s)
2 item(s), such as small arbols, seeded, soaked in hot water until soft
1 small, chopped
2 medium clove(s), chopped
¼ tsp, or to taste
Roasted pumpkin seed kernels
2 Tbsp, toasted
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season pork with salt and pepper. Cook pork until browned on all sides, stirring occasionally, about 5 to 7 minutes; remove pork from skillet and set aside.
- Add onion to skillet; cook until dark brown but not burned, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add broth, orange juice, thyme and bay leaves to skillet; scrape bottom of pan with a wooden spoon to release any browned bits of food on bottom of skillet.
- Add pork back to skillet. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low; simmer until tender, about 25 to 30 minutes. Uncover skillet, increase heat to medium and cook until almost all the liquid has evaporated; set skillet aside.
- While pork cooks, place a large pot of water over high heat. Add 1 teaspoon of sea salt and bring to a boil. Slice pumpkin into 10 pieces and scrape out seeds. Place pumpkin in water and boil until tender, about 20 to 25 minutes. Remove 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid and set aside; drain remaining water. Scoop pumpkin flesh out of peel with a spoon; mash pumpkin and set aside.
- Place all 3 chile peppers, onion, garlic, cumin, remaining 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt, black pepper and reserved pumpkin cooking liquid in a blender or food processor; process until smooth and stir mixture into mashed pumpkin until well mixed.
- To serve, place 1 3/4 cup of pumpkin mixture on each of 4 plates; top each with 1 1/4 cups of pork and 2 teaspoons of toasted pumpkin seeds.