Meatloaf with Barley
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 1 medium green pepper(s), diced
- 1 small uncooked onion(s), diced
- 1 large egg(s), beaten
- 1 cup(s) cooked pearl barley, quick-cooking suggested
- 2/3 cup(s) ketchup, divided*
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano, crushed
- 20 oz uncooked 93% lean ground turkey
- 2 spray(s) cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add green pepper and onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until pepper is tender, about 7 minutes. Spoon vegetables into a large bowl; add egg, barley, 1/4 cup of ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper and oregano and mix well. Crumble turkey into vegetable mixture; gently mix to combine (do not knead or meatloaf will be tough).
- Coat a 9- X 5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray. Spoon turkey mixture into prepared pan in an even layer. Spread remaining ketchup over meatloaf. Bake until center of meatloaf is thoroughly cooked, about 50 to 60 minutes.
- Remove meatloaf from oven and let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes to absorb juices in pan. Slice into six pieces and serve. Yields 1 piece per serving.
*Turn up the heat with spicy ketchup.