7 large, separated, at room temperature
2 tsp, grated
Fresh lime juice
Fresh orange juice
3 Tbsp, or orange juice
Cream of tartar
Fat free skim milk
1 tsp, grated
- 1 To make cupcakes, arrange oven racks in upper and lower thirds of oven. Preheat oven to 325°F. Line 24 muffin cups with paper liners; spray liners with nonstick spray.
- 2 Sift together cake flour, baking powder, and salt in large bowl. Stir in 1 cup granulated sugar.
- 3 With electric mixer on high speed, beat egg yolks in another large bowl until pale and thickened, about 2 minutes. On low speed, beat in lime zest, lime juice, orange juice, and liqueur. Add oil in slow, steady stream. Add egg yolk mixture to flour mixture and whisk until smooth.
- 4 With clean beaters and mixer on medium speed, beat egg whites and cream of tartar in another large bowl until soft peaks form. Increase speed to high. Add remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. With rubber spatula, fold one quarter of beaten whites into batter. Gently fold in remaining whites just until no streaks of white remain.
- 5 Spoon batter by 1/2 cupfuls into prepared muffin cups (set aside remaining batter). Bake until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 25 minutes.
- 6 Let cool in pans on wire racks, 10 minutes; remove cupcakes from pans and let cool completely on racks. Line 4 muffin cups with paper liners; spray liners with nonstick spray. Spoon remaining batter into prepared muffin cups (fill any empty muffin cups halfway with water). Repeat baking and cooling.
- 7 To make glaze, whisk together confectioners’ sugar, milk, and lime zest in small bowl until smooth. Drizzle evenly over cupcakes with fork. Let stand until glaze sets, about 1 hour.
- Serving size: (1 cupcake)