Lemon-mint chickpea dip with pita chips
Whole wheat pita(s)
2 large, split open
Olive oil cooking spray
Chickpeas (15 oz)
31 oz, drained and rinsed (two 15 1/2 oz cans)
Fresh lemon juice
3 Tbsp, extra-virgin
2 medium clove(s)
¼ tsp, or to taste
3 Tbsp, fresh, finely chopped (plus extra for garnish)
2 Tbsp, fresh, diced
- To make pita chips, place oven rack in middle position. Preheat oven to 400ºF. Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Coat both sides of split pitas with cooking spray; sprinkle tops with salt. Using a pizza wheel or knife, cut each pita into 8 wedges; place wedges on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake on middle oven rack until light golden and crisp, about 6 to 7 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, to make dip, place chickpeas, water, lemon juice, oil, garlic, salt, and cayenne pepper in the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and stir in mint. Cover and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes for flavors to blend.
- To serve, spoon dip into a serving dish. Mound diced tomatoes in center and sprinkle with remaining mint; serve with pita chips. Yields about 1/4 cup of dip and 4 pita chips per serving.