- 1 1/2 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup(s) regular butter, softened
- 1 cup(s) sugar
- 2 large uncooked egg yolk(s)
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup(s) reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 spray(s) cooking spray, flour-variety recommended
In a small bowl, combine flour, salt and baking powder; set aside.
In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy; add egg yolks and combine thoroughly. Add lemon juice and zest; beat well. Add sour cream and a small amount of flour mixture; beat to combine. Add rest of flour mixture and mix thoroughly. Turn dough out onto a large piece of plastic wrap. Cover tightly and refrigerate for 2 hours and up to 24 hours.
Preheat oven to 375ºF. Coat 2 cookie sheets with cooking spray.
Tear off heaping tablespoons of dough and roll into balls; place about 2-inches apart on prepared cookie sheets. Press each ball down with palm of your hand to flatten. Press tines of a fork across cookies in one direction to make lines. Press tines of a fork across cookies in opposite direction to make a cross-hatch pattern.
Bake until edges of cookies turn golden, about 9 to 12 minutes. Remove from oven and leave on cookie sheets for 1 or 2 minutes; remove to a wire rack to cool completely. Yields 2 cookies per serving.
- Use the recipe as a base for lime, tangerine or orange cookies: simply replace the juice and zest with the citrus fruit of your choice.