Italian Turkey and Spaghetti Squash Pie
- Total Time
Cooked spaghetti squash makes an excellent substitute for regular pasta. If you don't have time to bake the squash, cook it in the microwave.
uncooked spaghetti squash1 medium
uncooked ground turkey breast½ pound(s)
olive oil2 tsp
uncooked onion(s)1 small, chopped
garlic clove(s)1 clove(s), medium, minced
canned diced tomatoes29 oz, undrained
Italian seasoning1 tsp, or more to taste
fat-free ricotta cheese6 oz
cooking spray1 spray(s), nonstick
shredded fat free mozzarella cheese½ cup(s)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Halve squash lengthwise; scoop out seeds. Place squash, cut sides down, in a large baking dish and prick skin all over with a fork. Bake until tender, about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook turkey, stirring occasionally, in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until browned, about 5 minutes. Drain, remove from skillet and set aside.
- In a same skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; saute until onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and Italian seasoning; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; add cooked turkey and simmer, stirring often, until desired consistency, about 5 minutes.
- Place ricotta and egg in a food processor or blender; puree until smooth.
- Coat a 9-inch glass pie plate with cooking spray. Remove squash from oven and increase oven temperature to 375ºF.
- Using a fork, carefully rake stringy squash pulp from shell, separating it into strands that look like spaghetti. Arrange spaghetti squash strands in bottom and up sides of pie plate to form a crust.
- Add ricotta cheese mixture and gently spread over squash. Pour tomato-turkey sauce over cheese mixture and sprinkle with mozzarella. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes before slicing into 6 pieces. Yields 1 piece per serving.