Italian Turkey & Spaghetti Squash Pie
Uncooked spaghetti squash
Uncooked extra lean ground turkey breast
1 small, chopped
1 medium clove(s), minced
Canned diced tomatoes
29 oz, undrained
1 tsp, or more to taste
Part-skim ricotta cheese
1 large egg(s)
Shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Halve the squash lengthwise; scoop out the seeds. Place the squash, cut sides down, in a large baking dish and prick the skin all over with a fork. Bake until tender, about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the turkey, stirring occasionally, in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until browned, about 5 minutes. Drain, remove from the turkey from the skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and the garlic; cook until the onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and the Italian seasoning; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat; add the cooked turkey and simmer, stirring often, until desired consistency, about 5 minutes.
- Place the ricotta and the egg in a food processor or blender; puree until smooth.
- Coat a 9-inch glass pie plate with cooking spray. Remove the squash from the oven and increase the oven temperature to 375ºF.
- Using a fork, carefully rake the stringy squash pulp from the shell, separating it into strands that look like spaghetti. Arrange the spaghetti squash strands in the bottom and up the sides of the pie plate to form a crust.
- Add the ricotta cheese mixture and gently spread it over the squash. Pour the tomato-turkey sauce over the cheese mixture and sprinkle with the mozzarella. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and let stand 5 minutes before slicing into 6 pieces. Yields 1 piece per serving.