Italian-Style Stuffed Peppers
- 1/3 cup(s) uncooked white rice, seasoned with tomato and herb
- 4 small sweet red pepper(s)
- 3/4 pound(s) uncooked lean ground beef, (7% or less fat)
- 1 1/2 cup(s) canned tomato juice, or vegetable juice
- 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- Cook the rice according to the package directions, omitting the butter or the vegetable oil. Let cool about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, with a sharp knife, slice off the top inch of each bell pepper and remove and discard the seeds; set the peppers aside.
- Combine the cooked rice, ground beef, 1/4 cup of the vegetable juice, the Parmesan, salt, and ground pepper in a medium bowl. Spoon the rice mixture evenly into the peppers.
- Place the peppers in a 3-quart saucepan; pour the remaining 1 1/4 cups vegetable juice around the peppers and set the pan over medium-high heat. Bring the juice to a boil; reduce the heat, cover, and simmer until the peppers are tender and the beef is cooked through, 20 – 25 minutes. Serve the peppers with the sauce. Yields one pepper per serving.