Italian Sausage and Pepper Pasta
- 1/2 pound(s) uncooked turkey sausage(s), Italian-style, casings removed
- 2 tsp olive oil, extra-virgin
- 2 medium yellow pepper(s), cut into 2-inch long thin strips
- 1 medium uncooked onion(s), thinly sliced
- 4 fl oz red wine, (1/2 cup)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 28 oz canned crushed tomatoes, fire-roasted recommended
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, or less to taste
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 8 oz uncooked whole wheat pasta, fusilli
- 1/3 cup(s) basil, fresh, chopped
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, to make sauce, in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, cook sausage, stirring and breaking up meat with back of a wooden spoon, until cooked through, about 3 to 5 minutes; remove to a plate.
- Heat oil in same skillet. Add yellow peppers and onion; cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are lightly colored and crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add wine and garlic; cook until most of liquid evaporates, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes, crushed red pepper, salt and browned sausage; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until vegetables are tender and sauce is heated through, about 10 minutes.
- While sauce simmers, add pasta to boiling water and cook according to package instructions. Drain pasta; return to pot. Add sauce and basil; toss to mix and coat.
- Serving size: 1 1/3 c
The sauce is also good spooned over rice. Toss in some fennel seeds for even greater flavor.