Italian sausage and mozzarella strata
Uncooked sweet Italian turkey sausage
8 oz, casings removed
Raw Cubanelle pepper
2 medium, (Italian frying peppers), diced
1 medium, chopped
Reduced-calorie whole wheat bread
5 slice(s), day old, cubed (5 cups)
Shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
Grated Parmesan cheese
2½ cup(s), (1 %)
6 large egg(s)
- Spray large skillet with nonstick spray and set over medium heat. Add sausages, frying peppers, and onion and cook, breaking up sausages with wooden spoon until no longer pink, about 6 minutes. Stir in dried oregano.
- Line 5- or 6-quart slow cooker insert with plastic slow cooker liner. Spray liner with nonstick spray.
- Layer half of bread cubes, half of sausage mixture, 1/2 cup mozzarella, and 3 tablespoons Parmesan in prepared slow cooker. Repeat layering with remaining bread, sausage mixture, mozzarella, and Parmesan.
- Whisk together milk, eggs, salt, and black pepper in large bowl; pour over bread-sausage mixture. Cover and cook until knife inserted into center of strata comes out clean, 3–4 hours on Low.
- Wearing oven mitts, lift out slow cooker insert and transfer to wire rack; let strata cool about 10 minutes. Using liner as handles, lift out strata and place on cutting board. Cut into 6 wedges. Sprinkle with fresh oregano, if using.
- Per serving: 1 wedge