Use an immersion blender to puree this soup right in the pot.
- 5 spray(s) cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cup(s), chopped uncooked onion(s)
- 1 1/2 cup(s) uncooked fennel bulb(s), trimmed, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt, divided (or less to taste)
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 32 oz canned diced tomatoes, San Marzano variety
- 4 cup(s) roasted red peppers (packed in water), chopped (two 16 oz jars)
- 2 cup(s) canned chicken broth, reduced-sodium or vegetable broth
- 5 leaf/leaves basil, plus extra for garnish
- 1/4 cup(s) plain fat free Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup(s) fresh parsley, chopped (for garnish)
Coat a large soup pot with cooking spray; heat over medium heat. Add onion, fennel and 1 tsp salt; cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are soft, 7-10 minutes. Stir in garlic, Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes; cook, stirring a few times, 1 minute.
Add tomatoes, roasted peppers, broth and basil. Increase heat to high; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer, covered, 10 minutes.
Stir in yogurt and remaining 1/2 tsp salt; puree soup in pot using an immersion blender (or puree in batches in a regular blender). Serve garnished with chopped basil and parsley.
Serving size: 1 c
- Save some fennel leaves and/or fronds for garnish.