Italian chicken sausage and pepper sandwiches
2 tsp, extra-virgin
Raw Cubanelle pepper
2 large, thinly sliced
1 large, yellow variety, thinly sliced
2 tsp, or cider vinegar
⅛ tsp, or to taste
1 pinch(es), freshly ground
Cooked chicken sausage(s)
12 oz, Italian-variety (4 links)
4 tsp, or other hot mustard, or to taste
Reduced calorie hot dog bun(s)
4 item(s), grilled
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add peppers and onion; cook, stirring often, until nicely charred and tender, about 12 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and oregano; cook 30 seconds until fragrant. Stir in water; toss to moisten mixture. Remove from heat and stir in vinegar; set aside.
- Heat outdoor grill to medium-high (or grill pan over medium-high heat).
- Grill sausages, turning, until nicely charred on all sides, about 10 minutes.
- Spread 1 teaspoon mustard on each bun; add sausage and top each with about 1/3 cup pepper-onion mixture. Yields 1 sandwich per serving.