Instant Pot minestrone with pesto
1 medium, finely chopped
1 large, cut into 1/4-inch half-moons
1 rib(s), large, cut into 1/4-inch slices
3 medium clove(s), minced
Canned tomato paste
Dry white beans
8 oz, cannellini variety, picked over and rinsed (about 1 1/4 cups)
Canned chicken broth
6 cup(s), or vegetable broth, heated
Uncooked string beans
¼ pound(s), trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 medium, cut into 1/4-inch half-moons
Canned crushed tomatoes
5 oz, baby variety
2 cup(s), fresh leaves
1 small clove(s), coarsely chopped
2 Tbsp, toasted
Grated Parmesan cheese
- To make soup, turn on the sauté function of a 6-quart or larger Instant Pot; add oil. When oil shimmers, add onion, carrot, and celery; cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and tomato paste; cook, stirring a few times, 30 seconds more. Turn machine off.
- Add dried beans, bay leaf, thyme, and hot broth. Close the pot and seal the vent; set to high pressure for 35 minutes. (It may take as much as 20 minutes for the machine to reach full pressure.)
- When pressure cooker beeps, release the pressure manually. Stir in green beans, zucchini, crushed tomatoes, and salt. Add kale, pressing gently to submerge, but don’t stir. Reseal Instant Pot; cook for another 10 minutes on high pressure.
- Meanwhile, to make pesto, pulse basil, garlic, pine nuts, and salt in a food processor until finely chopped. With the motor running, drizzle in oil and water; process until mixture is smooth. Stir in grated cheese.
- When machine beeps, wait 5-10 minutes, then release remaining pressure. Discard bay leaf, and thyme sprig before serving; serve soup topped with pesto.
- Serving size: 1 ½ c soup and 2 tsp pesto