¼ cup(s), divided
2 tsp, instant dry yeast
Low-fat evaporated milk
1 large egg(s), beaten
3¼ cup(s), 3 to 3½ cups bread flour, divided, plus more for rolling out dough
Powdered sugar (confectioner's)
½ cup(s), for serving
- In small bowl, mix 1⁄2 cup warm water (110°F to 115°F), 1⁄2 tsp honey, and yeast. Let stand until yeast turns a little foamy, 5 to 10 minutes.
- In another small bowl, whisk remaining honey, milk, egg, and salt. In large bowl, place 2 cups flour. Pour in both bowls of wet ingredients and, using wooden spoon or fork, mix until smooth batter forms. Gradually mix in 1 cup flour until shaggy sticky ball forms. Keep mixing in up to 1⁄4 cup more flour (if needed) until dough is stiff enough to gather into solid sticky ball. Transfer dough to work surface. Knead until dough is smooth and elastic, 3 to 4 minutes. (Dough will be very sticky. Try to refrain from adding more flour and instead dampen hands with water as you knead. Use dough scraper to help bring dough back toward you if needed.)
- Coat large clean bowl with nonstick spray. Transfer dough to bowl and cover with damp clean cloth. Allow dough to sit at room temperature until tripled in size, 1 to 2 hours. (Alternatively, cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. Let sit at room temperature for 2 hours before continuing.)
- Lightly flour rimmed baking sheet. Punch dough down and stretch out on work surface to about 12-by-6-inch rectangle. (Wet hands and dough a little to make it easier to work with dough if needed.) Cut dough into 32 squares and place on prepared baking sheet. Cover with damp towel and let rise for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Preheat air fryer to 400°F. Coat bottom of air-fryer basket with nonstick spray. Working in batches, gently transfer a few pieces of dough to basket, spacing pieces 1 inch apart, and cook until puffed and golden brown, 2 to 4 minutes. Dust beignets with powdered sugar and serve immediately.
- Serving size: 1 beignet