- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 clove(s), medium garlic clove(s), chopped
- 8 oz uncooked lean veal shoulder, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup(s) uncooked carrot(s), sliced
- 1 small green pepper(s), chopped
- 1 small uncooked onion(s), chopped
- 2 tsp canned tomato paste
- 2 cup(s) canned beef broth
- 1/2 cup(s) water
- 1 cup(s) canned cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped (for garnish)
In a Dutch oven, heat oil. Sauté garlic until golden. Brown veal, about 5 minutes; set aside.
Add vegetables and cook until tender, 6 minutes. Add tomato paste, broth and water. Return veal to pan.
Cover and simmer 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until veal is tender. Season to taste.
Add beans; heat through. Sprinkle with parsley and serve. Yields about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups per serving.
Flavor Booster: To enhance the delicate taste of veal, tie 1 bay leaf, a fresh rosemary sprig, 3 or 4 leaves fresh sage and a strip of lemon peel in a muslin packet and simmer with the stew. Remove before serving.