Hearty chicken stew with parsley dumplings
1 large, coarsely chopped
4 medium clove(s), minced
3 rib(s), medium, cut into 1 1/2-inch lengths
4 medium, cut into 1 1/2-inch lengths
Canned chicken broth
¾ tsp, divided
Uncooked skinless chicken breast with bone
3 pound(s), 6 (1/2-pound bone-in chicken breasts)
1 large egg(s)
Fat free skim milk
1 Tbsp, chopped fresh
- Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in celery, carrots, broth, thyme, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Add chicken and bring to boil, skimming off any foam that rises to surface. Reduce heat and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 30 minutes. Transfer chicken to plate and let cool. Separate meat from bones; discard bones.
- To make dumplings, whisk together egg and milk in medium bowl until frothy. Whisk in 1 cup flour, the baking powder, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add remaining 1 cup flour and the parsley, stirring until it forms thick batter.
- Return broth to simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium. Drop batter by heaping 1/4 cupfuls into broth, making total of 6 dumplings, and cook 7 minutes; carefully turn dumplings over. Cook, covered, until dumplings are light and fluffy, about 7 minutes longer.
- Return chicken to pot and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes longer.
- Divide chicken, dumplings, sauce, and vegetables evenly among 6 large shallow bowls.
- Serving size: 1/6 of chicken and vegetables with sauce and 1 dumpling