- 1 large sweet red pepper(s), cored and quartered
- 2 small uncooked zucchini, halved widthwise, cut into 8 thin slices each
- 1 medium eggplant(s), cut into 8 thin slices each
- 4 spray(s) cooking spray
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp fresh oregano, divided
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic, divided
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup(s) semisoft goat cheese, crumbled
- 4 tsp chives, fresh, chopped
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 8 slice(s) reduced-calorie bread, Italian style
Heat a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat.
Lightly coat both sides of vegetables with cooking spray; season with salt. Grill vegetables until tender and grill marks are evident, turning once, about 4 minutes for eggplant and 5 to 6 minutes for peppers and zucchini; remove from grill and toss with 2 teaspoons oregano, 2 teaspoons garlic and lemon juice. (Vegetables can be made ahead and stored, covered in refrigerator, up to 3 days before use).
In a small bowl, combine goat cheese, chives, remaining 1 teaspoon oregano, remaining 1 teaspoon garlic and zest. (Cheese spread can be made ahead and stored, covered in refrigerator, up to 1 day before use).
When ready to cook, bring cheese mixture to room temperature; spread 1 1/2 tablespoons on each slice of bread. Top 4 slices of bread each with 2 slices eggplant, 1 slice pepper and 2 slices zucchini; top with a second slice of bread, goat cheese-side down.
Coat a grill or grill pan with cooking spray; heat over medium heat. Grill sandwiches pressing down lightly, until bread is toasted and goat cheese melts, about 2 to 3 minutes per side (or use a panini press). Yields 1 sandwich per serving.
- If you don’t feel like grilling the sandwiches, simply spread the cheese mixture on bread or a wrap and layer with the grilled vegetables (any changes could affect SmartPoints value).