Grilled Sweet Plantains with Brown Sugar-Glazed Onions
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 medium uncooked red onion(s), thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp packed brown sugar, dark variety
- 1 1/2 tsp sherry vinegar
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch ground allspice
- 21 oz uncooked plantain(s), about 3 medium, partially black or very black
- 2 spray(s) cooking spray
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, fresh, minced
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions and salt to pan; cook, stirring frequently, until onions are very soft, about 10 minutes. Stir in sugar, vinegar, cayenne and allspice; cook, stirring occasionally, to let flavors blend, about 3 to 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Peel plantains and halve lengthwise; cut each half into thirds and coat all over with cooking spray.
- Heat an outdoor gas grill or an indoor grill to medium-high. Cook plantains until grill marks are evident and plantains are softened, flipping once, about 5 to 7 minutes per side. Place plantains on a serving platter and top with warm onions; garnish with cilantro. Yields about 3 pieces plantain and 1/4 cup onion per serving.
The glazed onions can be made up to several days ahead. Just reheat when grilling the plantains.