Grilled Summer Squash Stacks with Herbed Ricotta
- Total Time
Creamy herbed-ricotta is layered between slices of grilled veggies in this summery side. A fresh tomato salsa makes a terrific topping.
part-skim ricotta cheese¾ cup(s)
uncooked scallion(s)2 Tbsp, minced
basil2 Tbsp, minced
lemon zest1 tsp
minced garlic½ tsp
black pepper⅛ tsp, or to taste
crushed red pepper flakes⅛ tsp, or to taste
plum tomato(es)2 medium, chopped
uncooked scallion(s)1 Tbsp, minced
basil2 tsp, minced
balsamic vinegar¼ tsp, or to taste
kosher salt⅛ tsp, or to taste
yellow summer squash1 large
uncooked zucchini1 large
cooking spray4 spray(s)
kosher salt¾ tsp
- In a medium bowl, to make ricotta filling, combine ricotta through red pepper flakes; refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a small bowl, to make tomato salsa, combine tomatoes through 1/8 tsp salt; set aside at room temperature.
- Slice squash and zucchini crosswise into eight 1/4-inch-thick slices each; place in a third bowl, coat with cooking spray and toss with 3/4 tsp salt.
- Off heat, coat a grill or grill pan with cooking spray; heat to medium-high heat. Grill squash and zucchini, until softened and grill marks appear, about 8 -10 minutes; let cool to room temperature.
- To assemble stacks, spread 4 squash slices with 1 1/2 tsp ricotta mixture each; top each with a zucchini slice and spread with 1 1/2 tsp more ricotta mixture. Repeat with remaining ingredients so each stack contains 4 slices of vegetable; garnish each stack with 2 Tbsp tomato mixture and serve immediately.
- Serving size: 1 stack