Garlic-rubbed grilled bread is tossed with juicy, ripe tomatoes and basil. A great summer salad.
- 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil, extra-virgin
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano, crumbled
- 1 1/2 pound(s) fresh tomato(es), cut in wedges, wedges halved (4 1/2 cups)
- 1/3 cup(s), chopped uncooked red onion(s)
- 3 1/2 oz Italian bread, or ciabatta bread, cut into four 3/4-inch-thick slices
- 2 spray(s) cooking spray
- 1 medium clove(s) garlic clove(s), cut in half (to taste)
- 1/2 cup(s) basil, fresh, cut into strips or roughly torn*
In a large bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, salt, pepper and oregano. Add tomatoes and onion; toss and let stand at least 15 minutes for flavors to blend.
Heat outdoor grill or stovetop grill pan. Coat bread with cooking spray.
Grill bread until toasted, about 2 minutes per side; remove from grill and rub with cut side of garlic. Cut bread (or simply break it) into bite-size chunks.
Just before serving, add bread to bowl with tomatoes; sprinkle with basil and toss to mix and coat. Yields about 1 cup per serving.