Grilled Escarole Salad with Citrus
1 pound(s), (4 small heads), halved lengthwise
Extra virgin olive oil
1½ Tbsp, divided
¾ tsp, divided (or to taste)
¼ tsp, divided (or to taste)
Fresh lemon juice
1 Tbsp, divided (or to taste)
2 medium, navel, pith removed, cut into segments
2 medium, ruby, peeled, pith removed, cut into segments
Uncooked fennel bulb(s)
1 medium, cored, thinly sliced (reserve 1 Tbsp fronds)
Uncooked red onion(s)
1 small, thinly sliced)
Fresh mint leaves
2 Tbsp, chopped
- Preheat an outdoor grill to medium (or heat a grill pan to medium heat).
- Brush escarole with 1/2 Tbsp oil; season with salt and pepper. Place escarole cut side down on grill and cook until it begins to char and leaves have wilted, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat, season with 1 tsp lemon juice, and arrange two halves on each of four plates.
- In a bowl, toss together orange and grapefruit segments, fennel, fennel fronds, onion and mint until combined. Drizzle with remaining 1 tablespoon oil and 2 tsp lemon juice; season with salt and pepper and toss to combine.
- Divide citrus mixture over escarole; serve immediately.
- Serving size: 2 escarole halves and 1 ½ cups citrus mixture