Grilled chicken with orange-avocado salad
Uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast(s)
20 oz, halves
1 medium, navel variety
1 medium clove(s), minced
1 item(s), medium, Hass, halved, pitted, peeled, and cut into 1⁄2-inch dice
4 medium, halved and thinly sliced
1 medium, thinly sliced
- Pound the chicken to an even thickness.
- To make the spice mixture, grate 1 1⁄2 teaspoons zest from the orange. Combine the orange zest, garlic, oil, cumin, salt, and cayenne in a small bowl. Reserve 1⁄4 teaspoon of the mixture in a large bowl. Rub the remaining spice mixture over the chicken; set aside.
- Spray the grill rack with nonstick spray; preheat the grill to medium or prepare a medium fire.
- Meanwhile, remove the remaining peel and the white pith from the orange. Quarter the orange from stem end to blossom end, then slice. Add the orange slices to the reserved spice mixture; toss to coat.
- Place the chicken breasts on the grill rack. Grill, covered, until browned and cooked through, 4 – 5 minutes on each side. Just before serving, add the avocado, radishes, and scallion to the orange mixture and toss to combine. Serve with the chicken. Yields 1 chicken breast half and 1⁄2 cup salad per serving.