Green Bean Casserole
- 4 cup(s) frozen cut green beans
- 1 medium uncooked onion(s), chopped
- 1 tsp sugar
- 12 oz canned low fat cream of mushroom soup made with low fat milk, condensed variety
- 3/4 cup(s) low fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup(s) uncooked onion(s), fried, french style
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Spray an 8-inch-square baking pan with nonstick spray.
- Cook the green beans according to package directions on the stovetop or in the microwave. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- Spray a small nonstick skillet with nonstick spray and set over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sugar, cook, stirring, until starting to brown, 5–6 minutes. Transfer the onion to the bowl with the green beans. Stir in the soup, cheese, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic powder. Pour into the baking pan. Yields 1 cup per serving.
Yet it still finds a place on our tables today, especially around the holidays. We’ve found a way to capture that same convenience (and that irresistible crunch of those canned French-fried onions) without blowing the SmartPoints values budget. Life is good!