Glazed-orange cornmeal cake
¼ Tbsp, not extra-virgin
2 large egg(s)
½ cup(s), granulated
9 Tbsp, divided (1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp)
3¼ tsp, divided (plus extra for garnish)
Powdered sugar (confectioner's)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat bottom and sides of a 9-inch round cake pan with cooking spray and then line bottom of pan with a round piece of wax or parchment paper; coat paper with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together oil, eggs, granulated sugar and 1/2 cup orange juice until blended. Whisk in flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and 1 tablespoon orange zest just until blended and smooth.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake until a tester inserted in center of cake comes out clean and cake is golden, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Place pan on a wire rack and cool for 5 minutes. Invert cake gently onto a plate and remove wax or parchment paper; flip cake over onto a wire rack to cool for a few minutes more.
- Meanwhile, to make glaze, in a small bowl, combine powdered sugar, remaining 1 tablespoon orange juice and remaining 1/4 teaspoon orange zest until smooth. Spoon glaze over top of warm cake and spread out to edges. Slice into 10 pieces and serve. Yields 1 slice per serving.