Even non-bakers can make this terrific cake with ease. The oil whisks right in, so you don’t need an electric mixer (like you do with recipes that use butter).
- 2 spray(s) cooking spray
- 1/4 Tbsp olive oil, not extra-virgin
- 2 large egg(s)
- 1/2 cup(s) sugar, granulated
- 9 Tbsp orange juice, divided (1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp)
- 1 1/4 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup(s) yellow cornmeal
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 3 1/4 tsp orange zest, divided (plus extra for garnish)
- 1/2 cup(s) powdered sugar
Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat bottom and sides of a 9-inch round cake pan with cooking spray and then line bottom of pan with a round piece of wax or parchment paper; coat paper with cooking spray.
In a large bowl, whisk together oil, eggs, granulated sugar and 1/2 cup orange juice until blended. Whisk in flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and 1 tablespoon orange zest just until blended and smooth.
Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake until a tester inserted in center of cake comes out clean and cake is golden, about 20 to 25 minutes.
Place pan on a wire rack and cool for 5 minutes. Invert cake gently onto a plate and remove wax or parchment paper; flip cake over onto a wire rack to cool for a few minutes more.
Meanwhile, to make glaze, in a small bowl, combine powdered sugar, remaining 1 tablespoon orange juice and remaining 1/4 teaspoon orange zest until smooth. Spoon glaze over top of warm cake and spread out to edges. Slice into 10 pieces and serve. Yields 1 slice per serving.
- If desired, you can omit the glaze and simply dust the top of the cake with powdered sugar (could affect SmartPoints value). This cake will keep up to 3 days at room temperature if wrapped tightly in plastic wrap. Or wrap it tightly and freeze for up to 1 month. Top with low-fat vanilla ice cream and sliced oranges, if desired (could affect SmartPoints value).