Glazed-Orange Cornmeal Cake
- Total Time
Even non-bakers can make this terrific cake with ease. The oil whisks right in, so you don’t need an electric mixer (like you do with recipes that use butter).
cooking spray2 spray(s)
olive oil¼ Tbsp, not extra-virgin
sugar½ cup(s), granulated
orange juice9 Tbsp, divided (1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp)
all-purpose flour1 ¼ cup(s)
yellow cornmeal½ cup(s)
baking powder2 tsp
table salt½ tsp
orange zest3 ¼ tsp, divided (plus extra for garnish)
powdered sugar½ cup(s)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat bottom and sides of a 9-inch round cake pan with cooking spray and then line bottom of pan with a round piece of wax or parchment paper; coat paper with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together oil, eggs, granulated sugar and 1/2 cup orange juice until blended. Whisk in flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and 1 tablespoon orange zest just until blended and smooth.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake until a tester inserted in center of cake comes out clean and cake is golden, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Place pan on a wire rack and cool for 5 minutes. Invert cake gently onto a plate and remove wax or parchment paper; flip cake over onto a wire rack to cool for a few minutes more.
- Meanwhile, to make glaze, in a small bowl, combine powdered sugar, remaining 1 tablespoon orange juice and remaining 1/4 teaspoon orange zest until smooth. Spoon glaze over top of warm cake and spread out to edges. Slice into 10 pieces and serve. Yields 1 slice per serving.