Ginger Snap People
- 2 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup(s) whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp ground ginger, or less to taste
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 pound(s) regular butter, softened (1 stick)
- 1 cup(s) packed brown sugar, dark-variety
- 1 large egg(s), beaten
- 1/2 cup(s) blackstrap molasses
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 spray(s) cooking spray
- 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour, for rolling out dough
- 1 1/2 cup(s) powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice, or less to taste
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- In a large bowl, combine all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, salt and allspice; mix well and set aside.
- Using an electric mixer on high speed, in a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg, molasses and vanilla; beat until thoroughly combined.
- With mixer on low speed, add flour mixture to egg mixture, a little at a time, beating after each addition (dough will be stiff).
- Divide dough into 2 equal-size balls and shape each into a rectangle; wrap each with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat 2 nonstick cookie sheets with cooking spray.
- Unwrap dough and place on a lightly floured surface; let stand for about 15 to 20 minutes. Roll dough out to 1/4-inch thickness; cut cookies using a 3-inch gingerbread man cookie cutter.
- Place cookies on prepared cookie sheets and bake until crisp, about 7 to 10 minutes. Remove from oven to wire rack and let cool.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, to make icing, combine powdered sugar with lemon juice and zest; decorate cookies as desired. Yields 1 cookie per serving.