Whole wheat flour
1 Tbsp, or less to taste
¼ pound(s), softened
Packed brown sugar
1 cup(s), dark-variety
1 large, beaten
1 Tbsp, for rolling out dough
Powdered sugar (confectioner's)
Fresh lemon juice
2 Tbsp, or less to taste
- In a large bowl, combine all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, salt and allspice; mix well and set aside.
- Using an electric mixer on high speed, in a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg, molasses and vanilla; beat until thoroughly combined.
- With mixer on low speed, add flour mixture to egg mixture, a little at a time, beating after each addition (dough will be stiff).
- Divide dough into 2 equal-size balls and shape each into a rectangle; wrap each with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375˚F. Coat 2 nonstick cookie sheets with cooking spray.
- Unwrap dough and place on a lightly floured surface; let stand for about 15 to 20 minutes. Roll dough out to 1/4-inch thickness; cut cookies using a 3-inch gingerbread man cookie cutter.
- Place cookies on prepared cookie sheets and bake until crisp, about 7 to 10 minutes. Remove from oven to wire rack and let cool.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, to make icing, combine powdered sugar with lemon juice and zest; decorate cookies as desired.
- Serving size: 1 cookie