Garlicky kale and bean–stuffed potatoes
Uncooked russet potato
32 oz, 4 (8-ounce)
Uncooked bell pepper(s)
1 item(s), medium, red variety, thinly sliced
Uncooked red onion(s)
1 medium, halved and sliced into thin wedges
2 tsp, leaves
3 medium clove(s), sliced
3 cup(s), lightly packed chopped
Canned cannellini beans
15 oz, (1 can), rinsed and drained
⅓ cup(s), plus additional as needed
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Scrub potatoes, pat dry, and prick each several times with fork; place on small rimmed baking sheet. Bake until potatoes are very soft when pierced with tip of paring knife, about 1 hour. Leave oven on.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add bell pepper, onion, thyme, and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are very soft, about 10 minutes. Add kale and cook, stirring, until wilted, about 5 minutes, adding tablespoon or two of water if mixture seems dry. Set aside.
- Set aside 1/2 cup beans. Place remaining beans in food processor with water and process until smooth. Transfer to medium bowl.
- When potatoes are cool enough to handle, slice each potato in half lengthwise. Scoop out potato flesh, leaving 1/4-inch wall. Reserve half of potato flesh (about 1 1/2 cups) for another use. Place remaining potato flesh in bowl with pureed beans. With fork, mash beans and potato together. Stir in broth, butter, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Spoon mixture evenly into potato shells. Place filled potatoes on small baking sheet.
- Stir kale mixture, reserved whole beans, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in bowl. Pile kale mixture into potatoes. Place sheet of foil loosely over potatoes. Bake until heated through, 8–10 minutes.
- Serving size: 2 stuffed potato halves