Frozen Strawberry Layer Cake
- 1 1/2 pound(s) strawberries, hulled and sliced (about 6 cups)
- 1/2 cup(s) sugar
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 12 oz prepared angel food cake, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 4 cup(s) fat free vanilla frozen yogurt
- To make strawberry sauce, combine strawberries, sugar, lemon juice and salt in a saucepan, stirring over medium heat until the sugar melts and the liquid comes to a simmer. Simmer 15 minutes. Use the back of a wooden spoon to mash about half the berries against the side of the pan. Cool to room temperature and use immediately or refrigerate, covered, up to 2 days.
- Spoon the frozen yogurt into a large bowl and mash it with the back of a wooden spoon until soft and spreadable.
- Line the bottom of a 9-inch round springform pan with one third of the cake slices, cutting any slices to fit the shape of the pan. Top with half the frozen yogurt, spreading it to the sides. Spread half (about 2/3 cup) strawberry sauce over the frozen yogurt, then top with half the remaining cake slices, again cutting any to fit. Spread the remainder of the frozen yogurt over the cake, top with remaining strawberry sauce, and finally seal the top with the remaining cake slices. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze at least 6 hours or up to 3 days. Let the cake stand at room temperature 10 minutes before unmolding. Slice into 12 pieces and serve. Yields 1 piece per serving.
Garnish with a fresh strawberries, if desired.