- 18 1/4 oz unprepared white cake mix, spiced cake variety
- 3/4 cup(s) regular liquid egg substitute
- 1/2 cup(s) unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup(s) low-fat buttermilk, low-fat
- 2 cup(s) shredded carrot(s)
- 8 oz crushed pineapple canned in juice, drained
- 1/4 cup(s) dried currants
- 1/2 cup(s) chopped pecans
- 4 oz low fat cream cheese, (Neufchâtel)
- 1 1/2 cup(s) powdered sugar
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 24 muffin cups with paper liners.
With an electric mixer on low speed, beat the cake mix, egg substitute, applesauce, and buttermilk in a large bowl until blended. Increase the speed to medium and beat until smooth, about 2 minutes. With a rubber spatula, stir in the carrots, pineapple, currants, and 1/4 cup of the pecans.
Spoon the batter evenly into the prepared muffin cups. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Let cool in the pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove the cupcakes from the pans and let cool on the racks.
To make the frosting, with an electric mixer on low speed, beat the cream cheese in a medium bowl until smooth. Add the confectioners’ sugar and beat until smooth. Spread about 2 teaspoons of the frosting on each cupcake and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of the remaining pecans. Yields 1 cupcake per serving.