French onion soup with Gruyère toasts
4 large, yellow, 3 1/2 to 4 lb, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
¼ cup(s), dry Marsala, or dry vermouth
1 Tbsp, leaves
Unsalted beef stock
2 oz, shredded (1/2 cup)
Shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
2 oz, (1/2 cup)
Whole wheat French bread
3⅞ oz, to 4 oz, cut into 12 even slices and toasted
- In large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium. Stir in onions. Cover and cook until onions start to soften, about 10 minutes. Uncover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are completely tender and golden brown, 1 hour to 1 hour, 15 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Stir in sherry and thyme and cook for 1 minute. Add broth, salt, and black pepper and bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover partially, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Set broiler rack 5 to 6 inches below heat source and preheat broiler to high. Divide soup among 6 ovenproof bowls. Arrange bowls on baking sheet.
- In medium bowl, toss cheeses. Arrange 2 toasts over soup in each bowl and sprinkle with cheese. Transfer bowls on pan to broiler. Broil until cheese melts, about 2 minutes.
- Serving size: 1½ cups soup, 2 pieces toast, and 2½ tbsp cheese