Filet Mignon with Bearnaise Sauce
½ tsp, or to taste, divided
½ tsp, freshly ground, or to taste, divided
Uncooked lean and trimmed beef filet mignon
1 pound(s), use four 4 oz pieces
Uncooked egg yolk(s)
1 Tbsp, at room temperature
2⅓ Tbsp, melted
Fresh lemon juice
1½ Tbsp, and/or parsley, fresh, minced.
- Rub 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper all over steak.
- Coat a grill pan with cooking spray; set over medium-high heat. Heat pan until it’s almost smoking and sizzles when water is dropped onto pan surface.
- Place steak on pan and cook, without turning, about 5 minutes. Flip steak; cook about 4 to 6 minutes more for medium doneness.
- Remove steak to a cutting board and loosely cover with aluminum foil; let rest for at least 10 minutes (steak will continue to cook under foil).
- Meanwhile, to make sauce, bring a small saucepan one-third filled with water to a boil (creating a double boiler). In a metal bowl, beat egg yolk with 1 tablespoon room temperature water until frothy; set bowl over saucepan and cook, stirring constantly, until egg yolk thickens, about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove egg yolk from heat; slowly whisk in melted butter until well-combined. Stir in lemon juice and remaining salt and black pepper; whisk in fresh herbs. Serve steak with sauce. Yields about 3 ounces of steak and 1 tablespoon of sauce per serving.