Egg casserole with hash browns and peppers
2 large, thinly sliced
Uncooked bell pepper(s)
2 item(s), medium, red variety, sliced
6 oz, 4 Italian frying peppers, halved and sliced
3 cup(s), (1 1/2 pints), halved
3 large clove(s), minced
Frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
20 oz, (1 bag)
Shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
2 cup(s), (8 ounces)
12 large egg(s)
1½ cup(s), (1 %)
1 cup(s), thinly sliced fresh
Grated Pecorino Romano cheese
12 slice(s), whole wheat country style bread, toasted
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, bell peppers, frying peppers, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper and cook, stirring often, until onions are light golden, about 10 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, garlic, and 1/2 teaspoon oregano and cook, stirring, 1 minute longer. Spoon vegetable mixture into large bowl; set aside.
- Add remaining 2 teaspoons oil to skillet. Add hash browns and cook, turning occasionally, until nicely browned, about 6 minutes.
- Spray insert of 6-quart slow cooker with nonstick spray. Place one-third of potatoes in bottom of slow cooker; top with half of vegetable mixture and 2/3 cup mozzarella. Repeat layers with half of remaining potatoes, remaining vegetable mixture, and 2/3 cup mozzarella. Top evenly with remaining potatoes.
- Beat eggs, milk, sliced basil, remaining 1 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon black pepper in medium bowl. Pour over potato mixture and sprinkle with remaining 2/3 cup mozzarella, remaining 1/4 teaspoon oregano, and Romano. Cover and cook until top is set when gently pressed and edges are golden, 4–5 hours on Low. Pour off any liquid in bottom of cooker. Serve over slices of toast sprinkled with basil leaves.
- Per serving: 1 1/4 cups casserole and 1 slice toast