Creamy Tomato Sauce
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium uncooked leek(s), finely chopped (white part only)
- 1 clove(s), medium garlic clove(s), minced
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 28 oz canned diced tomatoes
- 6 oz fat free evaporated milk
- 2 Tbsp basil, fresh, finely chopped
- 1/8 tsp table salt, or more to taste
- 1/8 tsp black pepper, freshly ground, or to taste
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add leek and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in oregano; cook 45 seconds. Add tomatoes and bring to a simmer; partially cover pan and simmer 3 to 5 minutes.
- Puree sauce in pan using an immersion blender. Or working in batches, transfer tomato mixture to a blender and puree until smooth (careful not to splatter hot liquid); return pureed tomato mixture to pan.
- Set pan over low heat and add milk; simmer 1 minute to heat through. Remove pan from heat and stir in basil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Yields about 3/4 cup per serving.
Serve over pasta, polenta, an omelet or frittata.