- 1 1/2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 pound(s) uncooked leek(s), trimmed, chopped*
- 4 cup(s) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp table salt, or more to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground or more to taste
- 1 pound(s) uncooked Yukon gold potato(es), cubed
- 1/2 cup(s) light sour cream
- 3 Tbsp chives, fresh, snipped
Melt butter in a large stockpot over medium heat; add leeks and sauté until leeks turn translucent and start to caramelize, about 10 minutes.
Add broth, salt and pepper to pot; increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
Add potatoes and reduce heat to low; simmer, partially covered until potatoes are tender, about 20 to 25 minutes.
Puree soup in pot using an immersion blender (or working in small batches, puree the soup in a blender, careful not to splatter the hot liquid). Adjust seasonings if necessary, stir in sour cream and garnish with chives. Yields about 1 cup per serving.
- *To clean the leeks, remove the outer, tough dark leaves and trim the root end. Split the leeks in half lengthwise and soak them in cold water for 10 to 15 minute to remove any grit and dirt. If you prefer soup with a thinner consistency, add up to two more cups of broth (could affect SmartPoints value). To make this vegetarian, use vegetable stock instead of chicken stock. Enjoy this soup hot, room temperature or cold.