Coconut shrimp with tangy apricot dipping sauce
Unsweetened shredded coconut
½ cup(s), flaked, unsweetened
Red pepper flakes
1 large egg(s)
1 pound(s), Jumbo, peeled (tails left on), deveined, butterflied, and patted dry
¼ cup(s), or all-fruit apricot spread
1 tsp, or soy sauce
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- Combine the coconut, flour, salt, and crushed red pepper on a plate.
- Beat the egg in a medium bowl. Add the shrimp and toss to coat. Lift each shrimp from the egg, letting the excess egg drip off the shrimp, then coat in the coconut mixture, pressing to adhere. Place shrimp on the baking sheet in a single layer. Lightly spray with nonstick spray. Bake until the shrimp are golden on the outside and opaque in the center, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile to make apricot dipping sauce, combine the apricot spread, horseradish, and teriyaki sauce in a small bowl.
- Transfer half of the cooked shrimp to a plate to cool. Then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 2 days for later use. Serve the remaining shrimp with the apricot sauce. Yields 5–6 shrimp and 2 1/2 tablespoons sauce per serving.