Classic Italian Meatballs
Uncooked 93% lean ground beef
1 pound(s), (7% fat or less)
2 large egg(s), lightly beaten
1 small, finely chopped
1 large clove(s), crushed through a press or grated on Microplane grater
¾ tsp, crushed
1 tsp, or to taste
¼ tsp, or to taste
Canned tomato sauce
26½ oz, (1 carton), with basil variety
Diced tomatoes with onion and garlic
14½ oz, (1 can)
½ cup(s), fresh, thinly sliced
- Stir together beef, eggs, onion, garlic, fennel seeds, salt, and pepper in medium bowl until combined well but not overmixed. With damp hands, shape into 24 meatballs.
- Combine tomato sauce and diced tomatoes in 4- or 5-quart slow cooker; set aside.
- Spread flour on sheet of wax paper; roll meatballs in flour until coated on all sides, shaking off excess.
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook meatballs, in two batches, until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes per batch, transferring to slow cooker as they are browned. Spoon tomato sauce over meatballs. Cover and cook until meatballs are cooked through and sauce is slightly thickened, about 3 hours on Low; stir in basil. Divide meatballs and sauce evenly among 8 bowls.
- Serving size: 3 meatballs and about 1/2 cup sauce