Fat-free sweetened condensed milk
2 item(s), (3-inch)
1 piece(s), 1-inch-wide strip
4 large egg(s), lightly beaten
1 item(s), lightly beaten
- 1 Arrange rack in middle of oven. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2 Combine sugar and water in medium heavy-bottomed saucepan. Bring to boil over medium-high heat; cook, shaking pan occasionally, until golden, 12–15 minutes. Immediately pour caramel into 9-inch deep-dish glass pie plate. Carefully tilt pie plate to evenly coat bottom with caramel (caramel is very hot). Set aside until cool and hard, 8–10 minutes.
- 3 Meanwhile, combine low-fat milk, condensed milk, cinnamon sticks, vanilla, and orange peel in medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until almost simmering, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand about 15 minutes. Remove cinnamon sticks and orange peel.
- 4 Whisk together eggs and egg white in medium bowl. Slowly whisk in warm milk mixture; pour mixture into pie plate.
- 5 Set pie plate in large roasting pan and fill pan with enough hot water to come halfway up side of pie plate. Bake until custard is set but still jiggles in center, 50–55 minutes.
- 6 Transfer flan to rack and let cool completely, about 1 hour. Refrigerate flan for at least 3 hours or overnight. To unmold, run tip of knife around edge of flan. Invert large, rimmed plate on top of flan and quickly flip it over. Lift off pie plate. Cut flan into 12 wedges and serve. Garnish with orange segments, if desired.
- Serving size: (1/12 of flan)